Monday, February 13, 2012

Wilmington, NC trip - part 2




Across the street from our hotel was this huge parking deck for the Cape Fear Community College. Wilmington is certainly a college town with this one as well and UNC Wilmington so you see lots and lots of young people.



Linda & I had a second floor window looking out on the water, gulls and an occasional boat going by. Everything was so well kept and clean.


This picture is not as clear as I would like but I had to use the zoom to get a shot of our famous USS North Carolina battleship. I have been all over it in years past but it was just too cold and windy to venture over there this trip. I liked that we were able to see it out of our room window.

Front view of our motel, Best Western Coastline. 


Connected to the Best Western facility is a museum dedicated to the Atlantic Coastline Railroad. Walking along there is my friend Jesse checking it out as well. Following is some more pictures of the train setting.











This is a fountain in front of the motel that added a peaceful sound of running water. Next time I will take you to other places we saw as we roamed around. Hope all of you had a very good Monday.

9 comments:

  1. I so enjoyed your pictures, Odie. My great grandfather worked for the railraods, and ever since, the next generations have had a love for trains. Thanks for sharing~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see more of your trip, Odie. I used to watch WWAY-TV when I vacationed in nearby Myrtle Beach. I would love to walk through that rail museum. I had an uncle who was crazy about trains. He devoted the entire third floor of his house to elaborate model train layouts. That museum would have been his kind of place, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandfather was in charge of the train depot in Drumheller, Alberta. I've always loved trains and taken a few trips on them. A great way to travel. Thanks, Odie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that fountain. It looks like something you would find in Rome. Very elegant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos and the train museum would be so interesting. I love places like that

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great trip with some fantastic photos!
    (And now all I'm thinking about is where I can have caboose birthday party…)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Wilmington. We checked it out when we were planning on moving down here. It was a toss up between Wilmington, Myrtle Beach and Charleston. We picked Charleston because Bruce was offered a job. The River Walk in Wilmington was great and the horse and carriage history tour was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wilmington sounds like A great place, and the photos were really interesting. I love looking round places like that. Sorry I haven't been here recently, but I'm having problems as you know! Can't wait to get back to normal .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Odie! Please forgive any typo's. You know why haha.. Thank you for coming to visit me so often and sending me the link to your blog. Believe it or not I have family in NC and I have seen all of the places in these pictures a time or ten. These brought back lots of memories. Thank you

    ReplyDelete