Sunday, May 29, 2011

I love it



Hi blogging family, still unable to comment on most of the posts I read but hoping for the best and maybe all will be fixed soon. On to todays post. If I had to list one item at the top of my list of loved appliances it would have to be my Elite 8 qt. pressure cooker.

I grew up in the era when pressure cookers were dangerous and very noisy with the heavy device that sat on the pressure release nozzle dancing around as the steam would escape. I've heard all the horror stories about food stuck to the ceiling after an explosion.

Praise God we are in a new era and don't have to worry about that ever again. My cooker is "all" automatic and makes no noise except to beep when the cooking time is over switching itself from cooking to warming mode. If left alone it will depressurize itself within about 15 minutes but I usually just turn the valve on top to exhaust and it is ready to open in about one minute.

Today I was contemplating what needed to be cooked and all we had was frozen so I pulled a food saver sealed pouch from the freezer with 2 chicken leg quarters which was fused into a block. I placed the frozen chicken into the cooker added water, salt & pepper, set the timer for 70 minutes and hit start. Later when the beep announced it was ready I depressurized it and found the chicken to be fully cooked and the leg bones pulled out without resistance. I strained the broth after removing the chicken, added curly pasta into the pot of broth and added the chicken taken off the bones and in a short while had a very tasty dish for supper.

It is comforting to know that I can always have a tasty meal ready in short order even is the ingredients are frozen solid. One of the best investments I have ever made.

So far it has been a very lazy & peaceful holiday weekend. Tomorrow will be different as we have a lot of stuff to do before Linda goes to the hospital. Rocky is way overdue for getting his nails trimmed, we need to visit my Aunt Katie taking her some pork ribs and veggies, do some shopping & visit a friend that we haven't seen in a while. Will be wild & crazy but worth it. Take care everyone & I'll catch up with you later.



12 comments:

  1. Enjoy your day Odie with Linda. I'm praying everything is fine with her surgery and recovery. Hugs to both of you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes life can seem like a pressure cooker, Odie. I'm glad the one you described makes life easier. I hope you have a safe and happy day tomorrow and that Linda's hospital preps don't use up too much of your holiday. Give Rocky and Polly a pat on the head for me and enjoy your visit with that remarkable lady Aunt Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Shady's astute observation :)

    I also love your new pressure cooker!!! You've inspired me to look out here for something similar as up till now I've only been familiar with the old fashioned kind.

    Holding thumbs all goes smoothly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope all is well with Linda.

    You are so sweet to take food to Aunt Katie. She is lucky to have you!

    Pressure cookers are wonderful, aren't they? They make my life so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's amazing that you can cook up a meal like that from frozen. That pressure cooker WAS an investment my friend. I know that Auny Katie will be pleased to see you! I will be praying for Linda on Tuesday and hope that all goes well with the surgery. Take care the both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I told you before that pressure cookers scare me :) because I too grew up in that era of the scary cookers. heehee

    Glad to know they now make them super safe. I think I know what I want for my birthday later this year. I understand fried chicken is really good in a cooker.

    You dinner sounds delicious. I love chicken noodle soup. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never used a pressure cooker. I may have to give it a try.
    Tell Linda she remains in my prayers. What hospital are you guys going to? Are you coming down our way to Duke or UNC?
    Take care
    Kathiey:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never used a pressure cooker, but it sounds wonderful!
    I am also praying for Linda. Have a lovely day, Odie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Luck and Blessings to Linda!!

    That pressure cooker sure does sound like a wonderful investment. I'll have to check them out.

    I hope ya'll have a wonderful Memorial Day!!
    I think I remember reading somewhere that you are a veteran but I can't remember if I saw it in a post or a comment you left somewhere. Anyways, if I'm correct about that, then I THANK YOU for your service. It really means so much!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a child, My mom would yell, "Stay out of the kitchen! I have the Pressure Cooker on!" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pressure Cooker..one of the thing in the kitchen that I'm afraid to use. I witnessed such explosion incidence and the food was stuck in our ceiling:)

    I guess the food was yummy...hope I could have a bit of it:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah pressure cooking. I am the proud owner of three and your posting is giving me the envies for a fourth. I was given my first as a wedding gift from my Grandmother, along with a 'How To Use Safely' tutorial. It was a smaller one but I used it for years. Then when my Mom passed away I was given hers, which is a huge huge huge one. I use it when I want to make soup, etc for an Army. (I have five grown children I send food to when they are in need). Next I purchased a newer version of an in between the smaller and larger size when my first pressure cooker was so old they no longer sold a replacement ring for it! But Odie, your new pressure cooker is calling me name. Although I will probably miss the whistle and hiss I'm used to from using the originals for so long! Thanks for sharing a neat new appliance!
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete