Friday, April 15, 2011

M is for my Mama

I really miss my Mama who went to be with the Lord August the 7th, 2002. Martha Katherine Flood Langley, born in Edgecombe County, NC December 19th, 1920. Her life was filled with raising 3 children, keeping our home in order and helping my dad in the little country store he purchased from his dad after doing really well in a poker game in the store one evening. This was before he married my mom but wanted to document that. I really don't think she minded helping out at the store but when dad had to go somewhere she wasn't as happy with the situation. She especially hated the smell of gasoline which sold for 29 cents back then. I can remember her telling a customer (because you also had to pump it for them) that she was out of gas so she didn't have to smell it. Mama didn't have a drivers license so one day she wanted to visit her mother and dad couldn't leave the store so he hired Dick Sills, a very nice black taxi operator in Nashville to take us over there. He patiently waited in the yard while we visited. Can you see that happening today? I can't. While I was in Viet Nam dad acquired a store in Rocky Mount and also a house there. When I came home on leave I saw it for the first time. This time the store was not the friendly, sit a spell country store but a downtown version that was about half beer and wine. Not the environment that my mama enjoyed. When my dad died it was time for "BIG" changes for my mom. She had to get her drivers license and actually get a job for the first time in her life. She went to work for Fawn Plastics, a company that manufactured dash parts for automobiles. She advanced quickly and really loved her position there. She always regretted leaving school in the 8th grade and before retiring she went to Nash Community College and got her GED and received it in cap & gown. I was sooooooo proud of her that evening. After retiring she had a lot of time on her hands and spent a lot of it making her rounds visiting my family and my two sisters. I still remember you so strongly when I am getting baked spaghetti at K & W Cafeteria, chicken strips at Bojangles or watching Price is Right with Bob Barker. She was an amazing lady and a big part of who Odie, Marie & Linda are today.

11 comments:

  1. I loved learning about your mom, Odie. What an enterprising and wonderful woman. God truely blessed you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She must have been a fine woman and she raised a wonderful son, Odie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She sounded like a lovely lady Odie. I think you will always miss your mum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet post about your Mom! Very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how sweet...I loved reading this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved hearing about your mom Odie. You gave me chuckle with her telling customers she was out of gas! I'm sure you're dad wasn't too pleased with that! It's great that you have such good memories of her.

    My dad died over ten years ago and I'm happy that I have such good memories with him to think back on!

    (I could really use the 29 cent gas right now...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that was so nice to read.

    I love reading about your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a touching post Odie, thank you for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Odie, thank for sharing such a special post.
    I miss my mom too....she passed in 2005.
    Did I tell you that teaching yoga at the addiction center, one of my groups is military? I love working with them, they make my day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a sweet post about your mom, Odie. She sounds like she was a wonderful lady and I'm sure you must really miss her. Thank you for sharing your memories of her :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Moms are great, aren't they?!

    http://theadorkableditzmissteps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete