Sunday, April 24, 2011

Underground Homes

Now this is just one of many kinds of underground dwellings. Some are not this elaborate and are built into a hillside but the effect is basically the same. Since my early 20's I have always wanted to experience living in this type of environment for reasons like freedom from noise like traffic, temperature control as it would maintain a constant lower temperature than the surface but would never freeze.



Dangers like the tornados that just destroyed so much property in NC could be avoided with this type of home. You wouldn't have to worry about leaks from water seaping into the soil because you can use high density concrete that will not let anything pass through it and of course drainage would be a major point in the basic construction.


Lighting would give the illusion of daylight and artificial windows could be fashioned with scenes that look like the outside. Some industrious individuals have even bought vacated silos that used to hold a missle and have fashioned a home there.


You might even recall the movie "Blast from the past" where this family thought world war 3 was about to happen in the late 60's or early 70's and actually lived in their underground home for 30 years with their little boy at that time. He was sent up to see about supplies and eventually brought his family up to live in a home above ground. I have seen it quite a few times. I still think the concept is interesting. What do you think?



15 comments:

  1. I really like the whole idea of this too. But not sure if I could cope totally underground!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As with everything, there are pros and cons. I personally need to feel connected to a real live garden with birds, bees and butterflies and this is what I want to see when I wake up in the morning. Also, I love to hear and watch the rain and enjoy the sounds of frogs and crickets. I'd happily escape to an underground dwelling in particularly harsh weather (too cold winters and too hot summers for example), but I would not want to miss out on those glorious Camelot days with easy access to both indoors and outdoors, simultaneously :)

    So, Odie, I don't think this is for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea is great but I'm a wee bit claustrophobic so knowing what's behind the fake scenery would give me bad anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The more unstable our environment gets, the more these designs make sense. It was once my father's dream to live in an earth contact home. My husband used to live in Kansas and was once tempted to buy an underground grain elevator that could have been modified in a similar way. I sort of wonder if this is a guy thing...
    but you have to admit that Batman's cave is pretty cool!
    My latest interest is in creating a natural swimming pool. Have you heard of these? Apparently they are popular in Europe and Australia. They are different from ponds. Hope you have a great day Odie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would be very cool, for the purpose of safety, however, I am someone who loves to open all the windows in the house on a Sunny Day and let the sunshine in. I'm not sure I could cope with a home totally underground. Maybe just one extra level of it in order to be prepared for a tragedy but I couldn't have my whole house underground.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say, your music scares the crap out of me every time I come here. My 4 year old loves it though!!

    I would not like this as I need windows and sunlight!! too clostaphobic for me!!

    That is a really neat house though and would be really cool to see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a great concept! But I couldn't do it. :) I need real fresh air and real natural lighting and I practically live next to my windows looking out at nature. But if this would work for some people I say go for it! Thanks for sharing this idea, Odie. Blessings, Debra

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi Odie:)

    read a story just a few weeks ago on MSN about a guy who converted an old military silo into a home in upstate new york. i used to think along these lines as well. but what happens if there's a big earthquake? i wouldn't want to be buried under all that concrete....alive! having a garden on top of the house sounds pretty cool though. energy wise, it would be efficient though! you remember Y2K and the fiasco that preceded it? it's a thought provoking post you have here, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Odie. This sure is a good idea, but I like to see the wonder and beauty of creation all around me, and I think I might feel a little claustrophobic having to be underground all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Friend, I have finally taken a moment to go beyond the driving by and stopping in for a moment. Thank you for your ongoing kindness and support. For my part, I do not think I'd happily live underground however, that does probably decrease the amount of "unwanted" visitors one receives! Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want one of these. For lots of reasons! LOL
    I think a time is coming where if we do not have one of these, we are goners!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting. It would be awesome to have this as an option during an emergency. I would shrivel and die without huge windows full of sunlight though.

    Cool U post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would LOVE to live in an underground home! It's always been intriguing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Underground housing may be the wave of the future. Heck, we just might wind up with underground cities and stuff like that. The possibilities are endless! It's a pleasure to meet you via the A-Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. An underground house sounds kind of cool :)

    http://theadorkableditzmissteps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete